Emergency Shelter Relief Counsellor – Hourly Position
Violence Against Women Services Elgin County delivers 24-hour Drop in Counselling; 24 Hour Help Line; 24 Hour Emergency Shelter Care; Community Based Care & Counselling for women who have been abused and their children; and Community Based Prevention Through Education. Help is immediate, respectful, and compassionate. Each year over 2,000 people find the help they seek.
Our team is looking for candidates with a steady presence and strong work ethic to join our agency as Emergency Shelter Relief Counsellor.
This team works on site at Women’s Place Elgin’s Emergency Shelter in St. Thomas serving women and children from across Elgin County. Care includes risk assessment and safety planning; holding the space for each person to be heard and believed; offering crisis support in a warm and welcoming setting; and providing practical support & information to help each woman in their pursuit of safety from harm.
Qualifications needed for this role include a strong commitment to the vision, mission, values, and framework of the agency. A nimble spirit is also necessary to be comfortable with and remain grounded on days when things go differently than planned. You will also require:
• Sound understanding of violence against women and children and its effects.
• Appropriate combination of training and experience in a related social service field.
• Post-secondary education in social services or equivalent.
• Strong relationship skills effective both in person, on the phone, & as part of a team.
• Demonstrated ability in risk assessment, safety planning, and crisis support.
• Proficiency in office computer programs (Word, Outlook, Excel)
• Ability to lift up to 30lbs.
Clear Criminal Reference Check, current CPR/First Aid certification, valid driver’s license, and access to a reliable vehicle are mandatory. Working a variety of shifts including days, afternoons, nights, and weekends is required to support delivery of 24-hour services.
Please forward your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com We thank all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.